Monday, May 21, 2012

Dog Leather

Faux Leather Jacket:
Discovery Clothing $16.99
Do you have anything made of leather?  Most people do own leather in some form, including purses, belts, jackets, shoes, pet toys, etc.  I know I always thought that leather was made from cows.  I believed it was a simple fact.  But as it turns out, I was wrong. Although cow leather is just as inhumane as other animal leather, the idea is a bit shocking.  While cows are already slaughtered for food and other products, dogs have little slaughtering purpose other than material things such as leather.  Dogs were found in Thailand being slaughtered and stripped of their skin to be tanned for leather.  What is your leather made of?

But dogs are not the only animal slaughtered for leather.  Zebras, Kangaroos, and Snakes are a few examples.  And most of the leather sold to the U.S. comes from develping countries in Asia, where such practices are legal.  Peta has been working to end this cruelty and were the first ones on the scene, documenting what happened.

If you own leather, take another look at it and think about faux leather.  Faux leather can be made really well and can look just as cute if you look hard enough for it.  One of my favorite places to look for faux leather is Forever 21, which has adorable faux leather pieces at affordable prices, check it out here! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to write a comment or follow me, I will answer all comments when I can. <3