Thursday, June 21, 2012

A New Start

My Junior year of High School has just ended, and my Senior year has begun.  I have changed so much in the past year, I feel like a different person.  But I'm happy with where I am.  I've had my ups and downs throughout the year, there are bad memories and good memories.  But I don't regret any of it.  This summer I'm going to do everything I want.  I even made a list, one of those 101 in 1001 days lists.  My personality has become a little more down-to-earth than it was before, and I've moved some priorities around.  I'm not so focused on being successful, because my view of success have changed.  Two years ago I would have cringed hearing what I'm saying now.  But the school year's over now, and I still have my sights set on college, but afterwards maybe I won't look for the highest paying job I can find.  Maybe I really will take the job that I enjoy, and stop fooling myself into thinking its not what I want.  But now I'm even more determined to help animals, if only in my small way.

Sometimes I feel guilty for just being vegetarian.  You know that feeling when somebody asks you, "Are you vegetarian or vegan?" and everything in you just wants to say "I'm vegan!" but you have to tell the truth because they might catch you eating a cookie with eggs in it or a bean dip with cheese on top.  And then, there's always that voice inside my head that asks, "why aren't you vegan?" and I go through the whole, my parents are vegetarian, and it's easier to go to gatherings because there's more options to eat and I don't make people feel bad.  Its not that I'd miss the food.  I've been vegan most my life and I'd gladly do it again. So why aren't I?

This is the question I've been asking myself.  In the few weeks its been since I've really posted, I've been figuring out what exactly I'm doing with my life, and what I want to do.  And I've decided.

It's time to be vegan again! But this is what I say every time.  What makes this one so different?  It's that this time, I have a plan.  Starting off, I'll be vegan 3 days a week.  I can choose which days they are, but there has to be 3 days.  Its what seemed like the right way to do it with my personality.  What do you think?  Do you think it will work?

Have you ever had a similar problem?  What did you do about it?

1 comment:

  1. Mandi, I always have that problem. I'm vegetarian, and now and then a vegan will want to challenge me. Or someone will just ask, "are you vegetarian or vegan", and I feel sensitive to a challenge in that question, whether or not it is intended. I try to make ethical choices every time I eat. Organic cheese and milk are supposed to imply free range dairy cattle. I eat free range eggs. Every now and then I even become a "hamburgertarian" for just one meal, if my office is picking up lunch where they have burgers from Thunderheart Bison, where the animals live their whole lives free ranging over a lot of acreage, and where they have their own abattoir, and I know the animals have not been subjected to those horrid CAFO's, or been sent to a slaughterhouse where they start cutting on them before they're even dead. That is a very narrow "cheat" for me. Grocery store "organic" meats, I do not trust. Eating out or in other peoples homes, I make the most plant based choices I can. I really believe that all the different intentions of all the different followers of more ethical diets have sustained a chain of concern which has started to make the world a better place, though we have a long way to go in making the world less hostile to animals that are used for food.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to write a comment or follow me, I will answer all comments when I can. <3