Monday, August 6, 2012

Eggplant Chana Masala

This great recipe comes from Alicia Silverstone's book, "The Kind Diet".  If you haven't read it, I would definitely suggest it! Its about her journey becoming vegan, then adding macrobiotic principles to it.  She calls it "the superhero diet" and it will change your life! Here's a recipe from her book, Eggplant Chana Masala.

Ingredients:
3 Large Onions, roughly chopped
4-5 garlic cloves, minced
1-2 TBL olive oil
1 tsp curry powder
1-2 tsp cumin
1 large eggplant, peeled and chopped into 1/2 inch pieces
2 (15 oz.) cans chickpeas, drained
2 (14 oz.) cans peeled tomatoes, drained
1 can vegetarian chili (She suggests Health Valley and Amy's, and I love Amy's!)
1 large handful chopped fresh cilantro (about 1/2 cup)


  1. Saute the onions and garlic with the oil, curry powder, and cumin in a large pot until the onions are soft or treanslucent, approximately 5 mins. 
  2. Add the eggplant, and saute for 5 mins. longer, until lightly browned and softened.  You may need to add more oil.
  3. Add chickpeas, tomatoes, and chili.  Simmer 20-30 mins.  It gets watery, but ends as a thick, stew-like chana masala.  
  4. Add more spices if you like, stir in chopped cilantro, and serve.
*Note: I prefer to omit the cilantro, as I feel it gives the dish a strange taste.  Without it, I find the dish delicious, and it smells amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to write a comment or follow me, I will answer all comments when I can. <3